Monday, April 2, 2012

itty bitty grannies - a mini quilt

I'd been doing very well at resisting the urge to join in on all the granny square hoopla, started by Jolene (Blue Elephant Stitches). Find her awesome tutorial here. I loved everything about this block but knew I shouldn't start a new project when I have so many going already. Then Katy (Monkey Do) offered up an alternative strip piecing tutorial and I caved.



I wanted to do something quick and easy, just to get granny-squaring out of my system, so I pulled out some scraps left over from my 1930s quilt and pieced some itty bitty 3.5 inch blocks. I decided four was enough for me and made a little mini quilt, just for fun. It begged to be hand-quilted, so I gave that a go. This mini finished at about 8 inches square.


Nothing about this thing is perfect, obviously. I was pretty careless with all of it, just playing and experimenting and whatnot. The quilting stitches are uneven, and perhaps overdone. I put the sashing together all weird-like. The center of each side sucks in towards the middle, probably since the blocks are on the bias and the sashing is not. Is that why? Let me know if you have any insight.

Oh, and then there's that one block I accidentally trimmed the seam allowance off of. After a bit of cursing I decided to add some pink and call it good. It works for me. I like it. A lot.

Here's a look at the backside.


So, all in all I think this little guy is cute as a button and worthy of lounging about on my desk at work. Maybe I'll even set a coffee mug on it from time to time :D

Linking up with Megan's {sew} Modern Monday, Jenna's Manic Monday, and Elizabeth's Little Quilt Monday and Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday.

13 comments:

  1. Very sweet! I love making blocks in non-typical sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fabulous! I love that stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just darling, and I love the pink addition : ) Thank you for linking up such a cute project to LQM.....Wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Its so "in the spirit" of quilting!! (and it's so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is darling! You have a great eye for color combos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's really cute. And I love how you fixed your little error with that pink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so cute!! The stitching just looks wonderful and I love the whole spirit of it :) The fabrics are adorable and I even think the backside is amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such tiny pieces - I love your stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHoa Krista! Those are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous with the hand stitching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these with the repro fabric! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny. I don't see ANY of your errors that you describe in great detail. Maybe it's just too late at night or something, but I think it looks great. I know what you mean about "getting something out of your system." However I was just going to do ONE rose block and now I'm up to three!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love that little extra pink in your mini and all of that hand quilting. what a fabulous and original piece that will remind you of the best of quilting--the playing and experimenting. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...