Monday, September 9, 2013

the bee's knees

Summer really flew by, didn't it? Maybe I should share all the bee blocks I've made in the last few months, quick before fall sets in.


First up are Monique's (sewfunbymonique.blogspot.com) scrappy trip blocks from June. She wanted pink, brown, orange, purple and a touch of aqua so they'd match the ones she already made back during the scrappy trip along frenzy. 


These are such quick and fun blocks to make (free tutorial at quiltville.com). Hopefully Monique will get a chance to incorporate our bee blocks and finish up a WIP, it's so nice to check things off the to-do list.


Next are Nicole's (boldgoods.com) Christmas in July blocks. She pointed us towards her Christmas Pinterest board to use as inspiration and asked for any style and size blocks we wanted.


I had a hard time figuring out what to do at first, mostly because when I'm given free reign I kind of freeze up, especially when making for someone else. 


I thought a green circle of geese block (free template at quiltbynumber.com) might pass for a Christmas wreath in a not so obvious sort of way. I had fun creating a scrappy yet unified background out of various low volume scraps.


I went for quick and easy on the second one, throwing together more scraps from my Christmas modern plus quilt into a rectangular block. 

I might have gone ever so slightly overboard in August...


Kris (dukesayssewwhat.blogspot.com) has a really cool skateboard block tutorial on her blog and asked us to make just one since they're a little big. I planned on doing two anyways but somehow ended up with four. 



I probably don't need to post them all individually but I'm going to anyways :P


Kris and her husband own a skateboard shop in the Pacific Northwest and she's always stitching something by hand while  watching her son do cool stunts at the skate park. 


She said we could use different textures if we wanted, so I snuck in a few bits of voile, flannel, and canvas/twill. 



Last up is my first ever set of do. Good Stitches blocks, as I've been invited to join the Heal circle led by Nicke (kisskissquilt.blogspot.com).



I'm super excited to be part of this charity quilting bee! I'm filling Rachael's spot, (imaginegnats.blogspot.com), she's left some tough shoes to fill but I'm ready to give it a go.


These are modern maples blocks for August (free tutorial at larkcrafts.com). What's really neat about the Heal Circle is Nicke gets to hand deliver the quilts to hospice patients. 


I've noticed several other members are familiar faces either from blogging or Instagram or both, so that's pretty cool, too. Thanks for having me, ladies! 

Now if I could just make it to the post office... 


Just a quick note: I'm posting from the blogger app on my iPhone and there isn't a way to add hyperlinks, or if there is I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm also not 100% sure how my photos will turn out, they might be a bit blurry if viewing from a computer. Fingers crossed that isn't the case!

4 comments:

  1. They are all amazing! I love the flying geese wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pics are great, no worries :) I love the flying geese wreath, and I am going to look up the tutorial on the maple leaves block, I've been collecting autumn fq's for a while now to make a fall quilt :)
    xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your blocks look fabulous! Love the circle of flying geese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, you've been BUSY! (and you're in a lot of bees!!!) Love the scrappy trip blocks. Your points look perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...