Monday, July 11, 2011

Slow Going

It's been slow going at this house in terms of quilting, but that doesn't mean I've been a bump on a log. Thursday night I cleaned out my car, which was a major ordeal! Friday I tidied house and did some small home improvement projects like trying to remedy the moisture problem in my basement. We'll see if a dehumidifier will solve the problem. Owning an 80 year old house involves a lot of upkeep!

On Saturday I did get around to sewing up some coasters from sheet scraps left over after cutting out my Kaleidoscope quilt.

yes, let's tango!

I found this vintage bias tape at a thrift store for 12.5 cents and thought I'd try my first attempt at binding. I've just folded the backing over onto the front on all my previous projects.

My experiment didn't go so well! I think this bias tape isn't what I should be using but was hoping to make it work since the color is so perfect. I can't seem to catch the edges on both the front and back, and the sides of the coaster came out all wonky. I was hoping this would be a quick project to satisfy my need to finish something, but it looks like I'll have to try making double fold bias binding. Hmmmmm...

I also got the itch to make a design wall so I can arrange my kaleidoscope quilt someplace other than the floor. Everyone is leaps and bounds ahead of me, as seen in the flickr group, so I'm anxious to get this show on the road but don't want to start sewing till I have the whole thing mapped out. I had Elizabeth's method in mind from over at Oh Fransson, but once I started pricing I decided to make do with a more wallet friendly option.

nothing like a cold one to get your creative juices flowing :P

I got full sized quilter's batting and taped it to the wall. I already had the blue painter's tape so my total investment rang up at about 13 bucks. It's not the most eye pleasing setup, but it's a pretty decent temporary fix until I can come up with something better.
I'm linking this up with





  1. It's very, very hard to sew both sides of a binding on the machine and catch both edges unless you have a binding foot that feeds it through evenly. I always use a double fold tape (that I make), and after sewing it on, I sew the other side down by hand. I love the colors and the way you've sewn your blocks, though!

  2. Great job with the kaleidoscope quilt. What a clever idea to use sheets! I've never been able to use bias tape for binding either. Good luck!

  3. I'm love loving the way the sheets are blending on your quilt. Can't wait to see it finished.


I love hearing from you, thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...