Sunday, January 5, 2014

sunday stash + birthday fun

Yesterday was my birthday so we stopped off at Missouri Star Quilt Company on our way to the inlaws' house. I only spent $17, can you believe it?! I have a LOT of fabric and don't really have room for more, but this shop in Hamilton, MO sure is fun to visit. They have a huge selection and beautiful antique quilts hanging all around.


Since 2013 was my year for stashing, I figure 2014 ought to be my year for slashing! With the #economyblockalong in full swing on Instagram, I started thinking about which hoarded fabric bundles I could use to play along. Any excuse to start something new, right?!


I posted this mosaic on IG and asked for feedback. Clockwise from top left: Dream On by Urban Chiks for Moda, Folk Modern by Ellen Luckett Baker for Kokka, some Civil War repros that I bought with Jon in mind (I love them, but he REALLY loves them) and Bake Sale by Lori Holt for Riley Blake. My goodness I got a lot of feedback! Surprisingly it was somewhat evenly split amongst the four.


Of course, after hemming and hawing and coming no closer to a decision, I ended up tucking those options back into my stash and pulling out my Flower Sugar by Lecien and the assortment of black and white prints I'd been building for an occasion such as this. 


So here's where I'm at, almost all the cutting done and can't wait to start playing with the pieces! I'm making a total of 64 12" blocks which will yield a 96" square quilt. Go big or go home!


In addition to the wee bit of fabric shopping, I received a 14" rotating cutting mat, a 24"x36" standard mat pictured previously (under all that glorious fabric) and this book by Denyse Schmidt which I've been lusting after for a while. The large mat will stay at my inlaws' house, since I'm always missing mine when we're here! 

All in all, it was a fabulous birthday and I feel super über loved and spoiled! I guess getting older isn't so bad. Have a happy Sunday! :D

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! And it looks like you celebrated in a most appropriate way - with fabric goodness! Here's to a great 2014 for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely birthday - many happy returns my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy day to you! You showed such restraint . I started some economy locks too. Fun fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! You seem so strong. Large fabric stash or no...it was your birthday...and that is cute fabric. lol I love your picks for your economy block QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Help! Did you figure out measurements for the 12 inch block or did you find them somewhere? I just spent over 30 min trying to find it online with no luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Katy Jones posted the measurements on Instagram, she's @imagingermonkey. But I'll spell it out here for you!

      6.5" square for the center
      7.25" square cut twice diagonally to make the four smaller triangles
      2 7" squares cut once diagonally to make the four larger triangles.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is pleasing to look you express from the heart and your clarity on this significant content can be easily looked. Remarkable post and will look forward to your future update.

    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! And an awesome 2014 to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, one more time, to a fabulous quilter and friend. I love the array of your Lucien and think you've missed your calling--you should work for a quilt shop and arrange their fabrics, of course, after being a scientist by day.

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize you are on an extended blog break but happened on to blog and just love it. Plus, I had an instant connection because my sister works at Missouri Star Quilt co.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...